Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Journey with Singapore Safety Driving Centre 1

I decided to share my experience, although you could have asked yours friends for theirs, it is always good to have one more reference.

I cleared my Basic Theory Test (BTT) and there after, I failed my Final Theory Test(FTT). 10 years down the road, I finally got my arse moving again to get my driving license. So to let you know, all these years, I has had been a loyal payee to the taxi eco-system.

Enroll Online

As a working adult, time is of an essence. I could not afford to take leave just to visit SSDC. Hence I enrolled online, paid S$155.15 w/GST and hoping to proceed from there. I know I passed my BTT, but I was not able to book my FTT since the system did not reflect that I have passed my BTT. I did some searching and digging in SSDC site, then I came across that BTT do not have expiry date and if I could retrieve my record, I would get a partial refund for BTT. I called in to the helpline to enquire for help on how I should proceed. I was informed to come before 5pm on weekdays, before 12pm on Saturday, and the counter is closed on Sunday/Public Holidays. Apparently, it should be the Traffic Police Counter at Level 1. The terrible downside of this is I could only make a trip on a non-public-holiday Saturday. I nearly made an empty trip on the National Day which falls on a Saturday last week.

SSDC Site: http://www.ssdcl.com.sg
Hotline: +65 6482 6060

First Visit to SSDC Woodlands 

I went to the front counter at Level 1 and explained my agenda of retrieving the record for my BTT result. I was asked to fill up a form and proceed to the Traffic Police Counter further down. The form is a request form from SSDC to Traffic Police on checking and validating that I had passed my BTT. It only starts at 8:30am but the seats in the waiting area is already 70% filled. At 8:30am sharp, a staff came out to on the queuing system. There was when everyone jumped up and queued. Luckily, I was fast to get in line but still waited 20 minutes for my turn. There are 4 options, A, B, C and D. I took D - General.

I brought my BBT receipt which I kept more then 10 years ago. The counter staff was surprised and amazed that I safe-guard it all these years and gave causal laugh explaining that the receipt is not needed already. Well, seriously how would I know. Surrendered my NRIC instead, she checked and was amazed yet again and asked "Wow, that is like 10+ years back. What have you been doing all these years?" I laughed, sharing that I failed my FTT then and got enlisted to Army shortly, never have time till now.

I remembered that I would require a passport size photo which was mentioned on the SSDC website. I did not have one, saw a photo booth and spent S$7 for 4 passport size photos in a piece. Next, I went to Level 3 to get my BTT refund. The counter staff told me that since I passed my BTT, I should get my Provisional Driving Licence (PDL) so I could book my practical lessons. I asked what should I do next and guess what. I literally sunk to the ground when I was informed to go to Level 1 and queue again but this time to apply for the PDL. I asked if the passport photo was needed. She told me it is a good to have, not a must have. Darn, I wasted S$7 for a lousy shot. I walked heavily to the queuing system and press B - Provisioning Driving License for Class 3. I was curious what forms people had been filling up at counter 1. Went to check, took one, and started filling; application form for PDL. This wait was 50 minutes, it was not that unbearable since I went to have my breakfast in the cafeteria. When my turn came, I was asked to do eye sight test and color blindness test. Then, had to pay S$25 for the PDL which is only valid for 6 months. Only NETS payment is accepted, no cash nor credit card. I would need to ask for help from random people, had I not bring my NETS.

Finally, went up to Level 3, got my queue number and wait again. When it was my turn, I explained for the 4th time that I enrolled online and came to settle the issue of my BTT so that I could book my FTT. The BTT refund was S$37.45. Got my FTT handbook, an NTUC income insurance certification and the blue Training Record Booklet. I asked what should I do next as this was my first time enrolling. She explained patiently that I could now book my FTT and Practical Lessons. I could book it at the kiosk or online. I decided that would do it online. Hooray! Time to go home.

Booking FTT and Practical Lessons 

I got online after my lunch to book for my FTT. To my disappointment, there was only 2 dates with opening slots to book. This was rather frustrating when I tried to find more dates. Eventually, I gave up and try to book my Practical Lessons. It was another setup, the earliest available slot was three weeks later. 6 months valid period for PDL and I already have to waste 3 weeks for a first lesson. I was told by the counter staff that average to complete 20 to 25 Practical Lessons in order to clear the Subject 33 - Pre-test Assessment. Surely, I would need to extend my PDL later. Another issue surfaced, which instructor should I choose. Eventually, I called up the helpline again.

I was told that the new FTT date slots are released when needed to, hence I could login daily to check until I encounter a suitable date and grab it immediately. Amazing! As for the instructors, I could go for the first try lessons with random instructors, found one I like and then book the instructor for my other lessons. Then I went to google for which instructors at SSDC are patience, friendly and a good coach. Well, happen that is not really updated information on this.

I did not book my FTT yet. Grab 2 Practical Lessons in the September. One lesson cost $85.60 w/GST for 2 hours. I paid online and notice an extra charge of S$0.80 as Internet facilities charges. Wow, I need to throw 80cents each time I book online. Hope I can secure a suitable date for my FTT in the coming days which is already in October.

Quick Take Away 

I learned it the hard way. If you are in the same situation, these might be handy to you I hope. All the reference here take place at SSDC woodlands.
  1. Enroll online and settle payment (credit card).
  2. Book your BTT (Available date slots is amazingly 2 months away)
  3. Pay a visit to SSDC to get your BTT/FTT handbooks if you need them. Proceed to Level 3 and enquire with the friendly registration counter for a queue number.
  4. Pray you pass your BTT on the test day; you can check on result right after the test. If you failed, book again and better luck next time. If you passed, (congrats!) book your FTT right away unless you need it to be on a particular day, you might need to check daily online till you get a suitable date.
  5. After you pass your BTT, get your PDL (valid for 6 months) at Traffic Police Counter at Level 1 near the cafeteria. You will need to pay S$25, NETS payment only. Proceed to Level 3 to get your blue Training Record Booklet.
  6. The passport photo is not necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment